The texture of this magic cake is silky, soft, and melts in your mouth. It’s so easy to make, although the wait for it to cool can seem like a long time.
Makes 8-inch square cake
Cooking + Prep Time: 1 1/2 hours
1 tsp. of vanilla extract, pure
2 tbsp. of lukewarm strong coffee or espresso
1 ¾ cups + extra powdered sugar to dust finished cake
4 drops of vinegar, white
4 separated eggs, large
½ cup of cocoa powder
1 cup of flour, all-purpose
2 ½ cups of milk, low-fat
½ cup of butter, unsalted
To garnish: fresh berries
1. Preheat oven to 325F. Grease or butter 8×8-inch baking dish lightly.
2. Melt butter. Set it aside to cool a bit. Warm milk up to lukewarm. Set it aside, too.
3. Whisk cocoa powder and flour in separate bowl for about 20 seconds and set it aside.
4. Whip vinegar and egg whites, forming stiff peaks and set the mixture aside.
5. Beat sugar and egg yolks ‘til light. Then beat in the vanilla extract, melted butter and espresso/coffee for a couple minutes, until all ingredients are mixed evenly.
6. Mix cocoa and flour into batter until combined well. Whisk milk in gently until all ingredients are mixed well. Gently fold in egg whites gradually.
7. Pour batter in prepared pan. Bake for 50 minutes to an hour. Cake should be jiggly but not runny.
8. Allow the cake to cool completely. Dust with powdered sugar and garnish using berries, as desired. Serve.